January Meeting Minutes

TBTA Meeting Minutes -January 4, 2018

Board Members Present

  • Tom Dowd
  • Jeff Blumenthal
  • Tim Rumbles
  • Stan Mischley
  • Ron Anderson
  • Bob Niedzwiecki
  • Spencer Mendel
  • Dennis Vesotski
  • Mary Reichardt
  • Joe Houle

Also in attendance

  • Mike Dipzinski
  • Hal Butler
  • Jen Butler
  • Randy Fairbanks
  • Blake G

Meeting Notes

  • Meeting called to order at 6:11
  • Treasures report

    • Total Balance of $1,010.74
    • Jeff B. will be receiving a check from the Community Foundation for grooming equipment grant $2,500.00
    • Motion to accept by Dennis/ second by Spencer
  • Special guest Blake Gingrich Supervisor DNR discussed ongoing projects in our area-
    • Chip logging –
      • Does not believe there has been any negative impacts to the trails and has not heard any negative feedback on cutting so far
      • Sections F, G, and H have been harvested- some of the wood needs to be removed
      • Done cutting for now due to 4” of snow on the ground
    • Projects-
      • Received $30k for Norway Ridge improvement
      • Last year purchased an additional $2,500.00 in gravel and culverts to be used this spring
      • We have also received $30k for a mountain bike consultant- Emily Meyerson Norther Lower Trails Coordinator DNR will be involved with the consultant to determine what should/could be done in our area
      • Rock port – still a work in progress
      • Blake also noted that park pass will be $16 unless you get the pass with registration
      • Blake also extended a thank you to all of the volunteers for their efforts with maintaining the local trails
      • Need to submit for projects in advance- projects for following year need to be submitted by January 19- starts in October
      • Blake to rewrite the DEQ permit to address more pressing issues
    • Meeting minutes from December were read by Tom
      • Tom requested an amendment to the minutes to remove Scott Bays as a re-elected board member as Scott stepped down from the board.
      • Motion to accept by Joel/ second by Mary
    • Committee Reports
      • Ski grooming (Jeff)
        • Just before Christmas groomed both Norway Ridge and The golf course
        • Storing equipment at Bob Brady’s
        • Relocated the roller to Norway and used there- setting up a good base and working well
        • Randy groomed Chip-all in good shape (some repairs were done to the sled located at chip – running well now)
        • Side discussion of possibly doing a badge for trail users in order to raise funds for grooming equipment and the costs associated with grooming the trails
      • Membership (Tim)
        • 6 corporate and 21 members for 2018 so far
      • Communications (Tom)
        • Website for winter fat bike race is up
        • Scott has flyers for race to hand out- he will be getting them to Tom
        • Tom to meet with Keli to discuss race and buttons for purchase
      • Trails (Tom and Dennis)
        • No scheduled trail work bees at this time
        • Tom and Dennis did go out and clean up after wind storms just before the snow fell at Norway and rockport
        • Randy and Ron cleaned up Chip
      • Old business-
        • Youth ski club (Jeff)
          • Starts Sunday January 21- February 25
          • Looking for volunteers to hand out equipment, assist with teaching the youth how to maneuver on the skis
          • 30 signed up so far
          • Tom has updated the inventory
          • Jeff and Tom had an interview with the tv station that will be airing on January 5th
        • Fat bike race course (Tom)
          • Course expanded – will be used for the fat bike race, youth ski as well as other non motorized users
        • New business
          • Officer elections
            • President Tom Dowd – motioned by Stan seconded by Mary
            • Vice President Jeff Blumenthal- motioned by Stan seconded by Mary
            • Treasurer Stan Mischley- motioned by Spencer seconded by Joe
            • Secretary Dennis Vesotski – motioned by Spencer seconded by Mary
          • MMBA membership discussion (Tom)
            • Last year we were a club, Tom proposed we become a chapter (NE MI Chapter)
            • Advantages are we would have access to trail assistance, media, trail grant fund access, seat on the chapter council
            • Cost $750 fee
            • Motion to accept by Joel seconded by Tim- nobody opposed
            • Tom to send around application to all for review
            • Tom to get check from Stan and submit for chapter membership
          • Jeff discussed possibility of a grant from Community Foundation for cabin/yurt
            • Grant is for $5k
            • January 15 is deadline for this one -too close to complete at this time. May try for the July 15 deadline, which is the next one available
          • Motion to adjournment by Tim seconded by Mary – meeting ended at 7:46